Question about Inheritance

My relatives have died, but some of the heirs are foreigners living abroad. What will happen to the inheritance procedure?

If the person who died is Japanese, the inheritance procedure is the same as the normal inheritance procedure because it follows Japanese law (civil law). However, since there is no family register system or seal registration system overseas, there is a problem that it is not possible to prepare documents such as a copy of the family register and a seal certificate that are normally required for inheritance procedures. In that case, you will need to have an alternative document prepared locally. In the United States and other countries, documents such as affidavits signed in front of a notary public are used instead, but in any case, legal knowledge is required to determine what kind of documents to prepare in a foreign country. Therefore, we recommend that you consult with a lawyer or other specialist who specializes in such fields.

Contact us
Please feel free to contact us for any inquiries or questions.
Contact us by phone
9:30〜18:00 (JST) (weekdays)
Contact us by email
Contact form